Thread Rating:
  • 22 Vote(s) - 3.14 Average
Source Tarball
Cronanius Offline

Source Tarball

This seems obvious to me, but perhaps it isn't to other people. Please consider generating a standard tarball for linux users to download, as many of us do not use debian-based distributions. It is a giant pain for me to download a .deb file, use deb2targz to convert it into a .tar.gz file, re-generate the meta-data (not an easy process, even for an "intermediate" linux user), and bundle it back up into a pacman package file (for arch linux). It would save a lot of us a giant collective headache. This is my only post, and I will likely not be back to check on it - words of wisdom for you to act on or not act on as you see fit. Best of luck!
- Cronanius

PS. Your registration process is rather onerous. Consider making it less so (I see no problem with not inputting a location for a user, especially considering you can record our IP addresses anyway. If somebody really wants to mess with your server - I assume that's the reason for these things - the process of registration will hardly stop them). Possibly consider adding a "suggestions box" where anybody can post without registration; you just record the the IP addresses of the posters and make them pass a captcha. For small projects like this, it can help improve communication.
01-21-2013 07:37 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Squall Leonhart Offline
The Admin with the Gunblade

RE: Source Tarball

Not adding a location or a fake location WILL result in a ban as it is a common tactic used by spam registrations.

We don't directly provide linux builds (not in a long time anyway) so you'd have to take it up with those who are.

unless you meant source, which sourceforge provides GNU tarballs automatically for each rev.

(This post was last modified: 01-22-2013 04:16 AM by Squall Leonhart.)
01-22-2013 04:12 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply