Visual Boy Advance-M
spacy51

reading/writing save states

I noticed that when reading or writing to a save state, the core uses sizeof() to determine the number of bytes to read.

This will make save states incompatible when compiled on a system where integers are not 4 bytes.

int utilReadInt(gzFile gzFile)
{
 int i = 0;
 utilGzRead(gzFile, &i, sizeof(int));
 return i;
}

This indeed is a problem if you want to exchange save states between 32 bits and 64 bits machines.

This indeed is a problem if you want to exchange save states between 32 bits and 64 bits machines.

Wait, so all my saves made in XP will stop working when I switch to Vista Home Premium 64bit?

If I continue to use a 32bit build then everything will be fine though?

There has not been a 64bit build in a while so I was planning on using the 32bit build anyways.

As I said, it's only a problem when int is not 4 bytes. IIRC, on Windows 64 integers are still 4 bytes, only pointers are 8 bytes long automatically.

As I said, it's only a problem when int is not 4 bytes. IIRC, on Windows 64 integers are still 4 bytes, only pointers are 8 bytes long automatically.

My mistake, then. However I know for sure it'll be a problem on Linux and MacOS 64bits where sizeof(int) is 8.

so the int should be dynamic, rather then static?

No, the other way round. Instead of sizeof(int), which may vary depending on the compiler/platform, we should use a static number of bytes per value, and declare the file as little-endian.